Discover a unique blend of adventure, history, and astronomical wonder with the Waqrapukara Stargazing Tour. Experience the thrill as you journey through the Peruvian wilderness to the enigmatic Waqrapukara, an ancient Inca site perched at an altitude of approximately 4,265 meters (13,993 feet). This mystical location, often referred to as the “other Machu Picchu,” is a hidden gem known for its unique architecture and breathtaking views over the Apurimac River canyon.
As the sun sets, and the stars begin to twinkle, your adventure takes an exciting turn. The remote location and high altitude of Waqrapukara provide perfect conditions for stargazing. As you look up at the sky, the cosmos reveals itself in all its glory. The Milky Way stretches across the horizon, and you’ll spot constellations that have guided travelers for centuries.
The Waqrapukara Stargazing Tour is more than just a trek; it’s a journey into the past. You can marvel at the sophistication of Inca architecture and connect with the cosmos, just as the Inca did in times past. Whether you’re a seasoned trekker, an amateur astronomer, or simply in search of a unique travel experience, the Waqrapukara Stargazing Tour offers an unforgettable adventure. Embark on this journey and let the stars lead your way.
- Day: 01: Cusco – Sangarara Town.
- Day: 02: Waqrapukara – Sangarara Town – Cusco.
Day 1: Cusco – Sangarara Town
The commencement of your Waqrapukara Stargazing Tour will be marked by our timely arrival at your accommodation, located near Cusco’s main square, promptly at 6:30 PM. We will then embark on a journey, venturing south of Cusco, which will span approximately three hours. This expedition will take place along the well-paved route leading to the town of Sangarara.
Upon reaching our destination, we shall engage in the meticulous preparation of our camping area. The setting up of tents will be done in an organized manner, ensuring a comfortable rest area for our stargazing activities.
As the evening draws near, the preparation for the ceremony will commence. Equipped with a high-quality telescope, we will set our sights on the cosmic wonders that reveal themselves in the night sky. The Milky Way and a myriad of Inca constellations will be in full display, offering an awe-inspiring spectacle. Andean music will accompany our celestial exploration, enhancing the magical ambiance of the evening.
To summarize the key statistics of the first day of the tour:
- Distance covered: The drive from Cusco to Sangarara is approximately 140 kilometers (87 miles).
- Highest altitude: Sangarara town sits at an elevation of around 3,900 meters (12,795 feet).
- Lowest altitude: Cusco, the starting point of our journey, is at an altitude of approximately 3,400 meters (11,155 feet).
- Level of difficulty: Considering this day primarily involves driving and setting up camp, the level of difficulty is low. However, the high altitude may present challenges for those unaccustomed to it.
Day 2: Sangarara Town – Waqrapukara – Cusco
As dawn breaks at 6:00 AM on the second day of the Waqrapukara Stargazing Tour, you will begin the day with a delightful breakfast. Following this nourishing start, you are set to embark on an intriguing journey to the fortress of Waqrapukara, a walk that spans approximately two hours.
The fortress of Waqrapukara, a construction shrouded in mystery, will be your exploration ground. Here, you will marvel at the main gate, known as Intipunku or the Sun Gate. You will also have the opportunity to witness the enclosure of the Sun and the Moon, the enclosure of Wiracocha, the two towers, and the main square. The site’s elaborate bleachers and the intricate system of andenerías (agricultural terraces) are additional highlights of this visit.
Adding to the enchantment of the site, you will find yourself surrounded by stunning marine rock formations that take on a variety of shapes. The guided tour culminates with these breathtaking views.
Subsequently, you will undertake a return journey to Sangarara Town. Our dedicated transport will then facilitate your return to Cusco, marking the end of the second day. You can anticipate arrival in Cusco around 3:00 PM.
Key statistics for the second day of the tour include:
- Distance covered: The walking tour of the fortress and the return journey to Cusco cover a total distance of approximately 140 kilometers (87 miles).
- Highest altitude: The fortress of Waqrapukara sits at an elevation of about 4,100 meters (13,451 feet).
- Lowest altitude: Sangarara Town, where the day begins, is at an altitude of approximately 3,900 meters (12,795 feet).
- Level of difficulty: Given the walking tour at high altitude, the level of difficulty is moderate. It’s important to be prepared for the physical demands of this trek.
Includes / Does Not Include
WAQRAPUKARA STARGAZING TOUR INCLUDES:
- Round trip transportation.
- Professional bilingual guide.
- 1 breakfast.
- Camping equipment (tents, mattress and Trekking poles)
- First aid kit.
WAQRAPUKARA STARGAZING TOUR DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Sleeping Bags
- Services not mentioned.
WAQRAPUKARA STARGAZING TOUR PACKING LIST:
- Warm clothes and a small backpack.
- A bottle of water and snacks.
- Warm clothes and trekking shoes.
- Sun hat, sun block.
- Snacks and water.
- Camera and film camera.
- It is recommended to read the detailed itinerary.
- Pick up and return times are approximate.